Are you wondering how to incorporate art appreciation into your homeschool? It can be intimidating for sure. Especially if you feel that you know nothing about art or even where to start. Allow me to share with you my favorite ways to appreciate art with my kids.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure statement for more information.
Homeschool Art Appreciation and the Brave Writer Lifestyle
If you’ve followed our homeschool adventures for any amount of time, then you know how important art is in our home. I get asked often what art programs we use and how we incorporate art into our daily rhythms.
Art appreciation is also one of the guiding principles of Charlotte Mason’s teachings. You see, by observing art, children expand on their sense of symbolism. They will also develop their critical thinking skills. All of these lead to good writing abilities.
How Does the Brave Writer Lifestyle Incorporate Homeschool Art Appreciation?
There are some encouraging ways you can add art appreciation to your homeschool. But what are they?
Here are a few EASY ways to add more art to your days…
- Visit a local ART MUSEUM. This gets your kids seeing art and then talking about art, setting the stage for narration about art. Did you know most museums have virtual sites?
- Strew fantastic CHILDREN’S BOOKS ON ART throughout your home! You can rotate books about different artists, or artistic styles each week or month. When studying Monet, not only did we replicate his water lilies, but we also read all of the children’s books we could find about him!
- Keep oodles of ART SUPPLIES on hand. These are great to pull out when your reading aloud or listening to a favorite audiobook!
- Play ART THEMED GAMES with the kids.
- Take an ART CLASS – Keep reading to discover our two favorites.
- Showcase your kiddo’s ARTWORK. My kids prefer to fill their bedroom walls with their works of art, but you could also keep their artwork in an art journal.
So, what are our two favorite homeschool Art Curriculums?
#1 The Masterpiece Society
The Masterpiece Society Membership site is helping my little artists learn EVERYTHING about art and quench their thirst for watercolors, drawing, painting, mixed media, and everything in between!
Not only are my kiddos learning about the master artists and their techniques, but they are learning about history and the different eras of art too! This membership is filled with so many juicy and amazing art lessons. They take longer (sometimes several hours) but are much more in-depth and totally worth it.
#2 Chalk Pastels You Are An Artist Club House
Nana takes you step by step as she shows you how to create a chalk pastel masterpiece.
These are perfect for a quick art lesson when we are cranky or short on time.
Plus, Nana always reminds us that, “You Are An Artist,” thus you can create your artwork in any way that suits YOU. My kids really love that about her.