Summer is drawing to a close, which means that school is on everyone’s mind. I admit I’m not ready for the warmth of summer to end.
We’ve already had our first 4H Horse Club meeting as well as a couple of Homeschool Group meetups.
Since I can’t stop summer from ending, I have resigned to making this school year the best one yet! So, here is my annual homeschool curriculum post. We will use many of the same resources as last year, because when you find something that works…you keep doing that! But, there are a few changes and a few additions this year.
Keep in mind that I have two intense kiddos that absorb information like sponges. It can pose a challenge keeping up with them. Therefore, our homeschool is constantly shifting and evolving. I invite you to check out our eclectic homeschool curriculum for the upcoming school year.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure statement for more information.
Our Eclectic Homeschool Curriculum Choices 2018-2019: Kindergarten and 6th Grade
Read alouds are a huge part of our homeschool as are games, hands-on activities, and adventures. These read alouds and hands-on activities always depend on current interests.
We love to tumble down rabbit holes of learning, get lost in forests of knowledge, and sometimes we take long detours along routes unknown. Many times we end up on opposite ends of the map and completely turned around.
It’s never perfect, but we love learning. We always have fun and I strive to keep joy in our homeschool adventures.
Here are a few posts from past years on our curriculum choices:
We have some scheduled weekly activities that the kiddos will participate in such as guitar lessons, homeschool group meet-ups, online courses, swim meets, and weekly hikes.
Here is how I schedule our homeschool:
Please keep in mind that we keep a loose rhythm as opposed to a strict schedule. This works for our family. It’s important to find a routine or rhythm that works for your family.
Brave Writer is the core of our Language Arts curriculum. It encompasses everything I find lovely and encouraging not just with writing but for homeschooling and parenting in general. It’s the bee’s knees for both my 5-year-old and my 11-year-old!
- Beautiful Feet Books Teaching Character (we will be using several of the Beautiful Feet programs because I just LOVE how they approach EVERYTHING with Living Books! We fell in love with Beautiful Feet Books after reviewing their Around the World with Picture Books last year. Several of the Beautiful Feet books also pair well with our Arrow guides.)
- Audible: (you can try Audible for FREE for 30 days!)
- Language Games
- Reading to Shelter Animals every Tuesday
Our Brave Writer Lifestyle Routine
Our Eclectic Homeschool Curriculum by Subject
As homeschoolers, we all worry about teaching math. I try to make math as fun as possible with delightful math books, and math games. We also use several solid programs that my children enjoy.
My 6th grader with use the following:
My Kindergartener will use the following:
My son will be starting the 4H Horse Club this year. He is thrilled to learn more about hippology. They have already started learning about some of the various forms of horse maintenance such as brushing the horse’s coats, combing their manes, cleaning their hooves, and how to get a saddle on and off.
Aside from 4H, both kiddos will enjoy:
- History of Science from Beautiful Feet Books: We are so excited to be using Beautiful Feet Books History of Science! Just look at all of these lovely books we get to explore!
- Exploring Nature with Children: This book is a year-long curriculum. It contains 48 weeks of material including weekly nature book lists, nature poetry, nature activities, and nature art to enjoy. We will dip in and out of this book as the seasons go by.
- Nature Journaling
- Science Games
- Nature Games
- Curiosity Stream Documentaries : Did you know you can get a 30 Day FREE Trial?
- STEAM Kids
- Home Science Tools: for all of our science needs from microscopes to science kits, and owl pellets! They have EVERYTHING Science!
- Tinker Crate/Koala Crate
- Various Outschool courses. We enjoyed several Harry Potter potions courses, and a wilderness survival course last year!
Geography and History
Both kiddos will enjoy:
- Around the World With Picture Books from Beautiful Feet Books: These picture books are gorgeous and with them, we will continue to explore World Geography.
- The Giant American History Timeline
- Heritage of Our Country by Your Story Hour
- Geography Games
- History Games
As a homeschool mom with creative kiddos, I rely heavily on online art courses. Plus, my 5-year-old is insanely creative and NEEDS her creative outlet on a daily basis.
Both kiddos will enjoy:
Masterpiece Society Membership: As a member of the Masterpiece Society, you receive INSTANT online access to all of the current courses! These courses are perfect for diving deep into a master artist study or studying certain art periods in history.
- Celebrate Summer Mixed Media Workshop
- The Art of Fall Mixed Media Workshop
- Winter Wonderland Mixed Media Workshop
- Springtime Splendor Mixed Media Workshop
- Valentines Day Mini Mixed Media Workshop
- Playful Pet Portraits
- Mixing with the Masters, Volume 1
- Mixing with the Masters, Volume 2
- Step by Step Drawings for K-2
- Art School: Drawing 101
- Art School: Watercolor 101
- Coloring Pages for Preschoolers
- Create and Connect Area for Moms
- Exclusive Holiday Art Lessons
You Are An Artist Annual Membership: Chalk pastels are great for a quick art session particularly on grumpy days, cranky days and rainy days when the kiddos need an outlet. There are loads of tutorials and videos included in this membership. Plus the kids adore “Nana!” With the Club House Membership you will get Immediate access to A Simple Start in Chalk Pastels year-long video art course with 45 lessons plus these video art courses:
- Get Started in Chalk Pastel Art Video Art Lessons
- Preschool Video Art Lessons
- Spring Video Art Lessons
- Backyard Nature Video Art Lessons
- Forest Nature Video Art Lessons
- Garden Nature Video Art Lessons
- Summer Art Camp Video Art Lessons
- American Landmarks Video Art Lessons
- Sharks Video Art lessons
- Art Techniques Video Art Lessons
- Fall Video Art Lessons
My 6th grader is taking his second year of guitar
Both children will enjoy music appreciation.
SQUILT stands for Super Quiet UnInterrupted Listening Time and was created by Mary Prather of Homegrown Learners. We started our journey into SQUILT when my son wanted to learn more about Mozart. SQUILT is an easy to use music education program. You don’t need any music background to use it! That’s huge for most of us parents, folks!
The only thing you need is internet access, a printer (for the supplemental notebooking pages and activities), and a desire to learn.
This year we are taking part in SQUILT Live!
With a SQUILT LIVE! Monthly Membership You Will Receive:
2 live SQUILT music appreciation lessons taught by Mary (recordings available if you are not able to attend). Lessons include printable listening maps, notebooking pages, and supplemental activities.
- A monthly listening calendar – clickable PDF with an engaging piece of music to share with your children each day
- Access to the archives of all past live lessons
- 20% discount on all products in the store, as long as you are a member
- A members-only volume – SQUILT Goes to the Movies!
- A weekly member email with teaching tips, reminders, and more!
The 2018-2019 SQUILT Live schedule is:
September Whimsy & Fun in Music
October A Bundle of Beethoven
November Themes of Thanks
December Winter Extravaganza
January A Month of Musicals
February Jump into Jazz!
March Baroque & Bach
April The Classical Era
May The Romantic Era
Both kiddos will enjoy:
Read Alouds and Games
As you can see, we rely heavily on read alouds, games, and hands-on activities. We will dip in and out of all of these resources and books, but we don’t stick to a strict schedule. If you want to see more of our favorite books and games, then be sure to check out these posts: