Are you looking for a fun typing program for kids? It’s never too early to teach your kiddos to type. Now, you can give your children typing lessons with corresponding typing games they will love!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure statement for more information. I received the TypeKids complete course at no cost and was compensated for my time. A positive review was not required. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own. I only choose to share resources that I would use with my own family and those that I believe other families will enjoy and benefit from.
TypeKids : A Fun Online Touch Typing Program for Kids
Until this year I didn’t realize that there were online touch typing-lesson options for kids! That’s why I’m so excited to share TypeKids with you!
TypeKids is a fun online typing program for kids and my children LOVE it!
Like, my son completed 15 lessons on the first day, and my 5-year-old completed 6 lessons, without any coercion, LOVE it.
…and maybe a little obsessed!
They fought over who got to do their lessons next! I had to intervene and make them take turns!
Equal smequal and all that jazz.
This is good stuff, folks!
An Overview of the TypeKids Method
I remember taking a typing class in 9th grade. Each classroom table held a typewriter, which should tell you how old I am, a stack of blank paper, and a whiteout bottle! I was bored out of mind and used an endless amount of whiteout…
I remember having to copy innumerable amounts of text at faster and faster speeds.
Learning to type was a chore and not a terribly wonderful learning experience for me.
But, there is value in learning to type. More and more our children are using computers and tablets for online lessons and courses. An actual typing program makes sense!
What makes TypeKids such an exciting choice?
- Compelling Animated Story Line – My children loved following along with the Pirate story. Every time the kids completed an exercise a new part of the pirate story with Captain Forty and young pirate Jack was revealed, and badges are earned! It makes for an engaging program.
- Easy to Understand Technique – TypeKids uses animations to explain technique for the position of my kiddo’s hands and fingers. Each typing lesson builds on the previous one and new letters are added after each lesson.
- Typing Posture – Though my children wanted to use TypeKids for hours on end, their back and hands became quite fatigued. Anyone who has sat at a computer for any length of time can attest to this. I loved that TypeKids reminds children to take breaks, get up, move around, and stretch their bodies. This typing program for kids also suggests the correct posture they should have throughout their lessons!
Fun Typing Games
Another fun element to these typing lessons for kids is the games! You know how much we love incorporating gameplay into our homeschool.
TypeKids offers seven different games that are not only fun but offer additional typing practice. Only letters that have been taught are included in these typing games. What’s cool is that as the child progresses in their typing exercises, the games become increasingly difficult! This keeps the games challenging over the course of the program!
There are several ways to unlock the typing games:
- Treasure Hunt – There is also a pirate treasure hunt happening throughout the typing lessons. Each item the kiddos find unlocks a new typing game!
- Coins – By completing exercises your child earns coins in the program. These coins are rewarded for accuracy in typing skills. The more accurate your kiddos type in their exercises, the more coins they’ll earn. These coins can then be used to play the typing games!
How We Use TypeKids
My kids enjoy TypeKids and use it regularly several times per week. They get excited as they progress to a new pirate adventure of the story as well as when they earn coins for their typing accuracy. After an exercise, they play the typing games to their heart’s content.
I appreciate the progress report every time they complete a lesson.
They have yet to get bored with it!
That is huge, folks!
TypeKids uses an intelligent algorithm which allows repetition to be kept at a minimum. This is super important for kids that may become easily bored.
A Great Typing Program for Kids
TypeKids is perfect for families looking to give their kiddos engaging online typing lessons. This is a solid online instruction that can teach your kids to type with ease in 30 lessons! It’s a totally fun touch-typing program that kids will love.
Click over to TypeKids and try the first three lessons for FREE!
You may also enjoy these other homeschool posts: