Self-paced biology video labs are the perfect addition to any high school biology curriculum! Your teen will love these easy-to-use videos by Dr. Kristin Moon. Come see how we’re making them work for our high school homeschool!
*Disclosure: I received Kristin Moon’s Biology Lab Video Course in exchange for an honest review of the product. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own. I only choose to share resources that I would use with my own family and those that I believe other families will enjoy and benefit from.
After my cancer diagnosis last year, my son squeaked by 9th grade with five credits. It wasn’t the easiest of years, but we made it! This year, I wanted to get all of my ducks in a row, and that included a solid high school science curriculum. After conversing with my son, we decided that biology would be the best course for his sophomore year. He liked the idea of a standard Holt biology textbook along with the Crash Course Video Biology series, but I knew he would need labs, and I doubted I would be up for the challenge. That’s when I discovered Kristin Moon’s Biology Lab Video Course!
Self-Paced Biology Video Labs
Dr. Moon has a Ph.D. in Molecular Genetics, as well as being a fellow homeschooler, and has a passion for teaching science in ways that are fun, memorable, and easy to understand! Plus, she has considerable teaching experience spanning more than 20 years.
Kristin Moon’s Biology Lab Video Course is a self-paced course that can be used with any biology curriculum or textbook. They can even be used with the Crash Course Video Biology series! Dr. Moon has a suggested order in which to use the Crash Course videos with her labs! Students apply the concepts they have learned in biology by watching Dr. Moon’s videos and performing the hands-on labs.
Biology Made Easy with Kristin Moon Science
After logging into their account, the student can choose which lesson to complete. For each lesson, all necessary materials, as well as instructions, are listed alongside the video.
These biology video labs are so easy to use, and they cover a wide range of topics, including:
- The design and use of microscopes
- The unique properties of water
- The organic macromolecules that make up living things
- The factors that affect enzyme activity
- The structure and function of the cell membrane
- The reason cells are so small
- How substances enter and exit the cell through osmosis and diffusion
- The role of the plant cell wall in turgor pressure
- Aerobic and anaerobic cellular respiration
- The function of plant guard cells and stomata
- The relationship between photosynthesis and cellular respiration
- Cell division (mitosis and meiosis)
- The structure and function of DNA
- How DNA is expressed through transcription and translation
- The downstream effects of DNA mutations
- Transpiration and the plant vascular system
- Genotype, phenotype, and observable genetic traits
- Monohybrid and dihybrid crosses using Punnett Squares
- The difference between probability and real-life outcomes
- The genetics of human blood types
- Natural selection
- Using a dichotomous key
- Bacterial growth and reproduction
- The microscopic ecosystem of pond water
- The structure and function of fungi
- Reproduction in angiosperms (flowering plants)
- Methods scientists use to estimate population size
- Animal response to environmental stimuli
- Invertebrate anatomy
- Vertebrate anatomy
Why I Love Kristin Moon’s Biology Lab Video Course
We are loving Kristin Moon’s Biology Lab Video Course!
- This lab course provides a full year of labs (40 labs and activities) and can be used with any curriculum, textbook, or Crash Course videos.
- Lessons can be done in any order and were created by a REAL scientist!
- Each lab video has printable instructions and a recording sheet, a video review of the concepts used in the lab, a video demonstration of the lab, sample calculations (when applicable), and an answer key.
- Students can complete the labs themselves or watch the video labs and use the measurements and results from the videos to complete the recording sheet.
- Dr. Moon presents concepts from a neutral worldview, which means you could use religious or secular-based textbooks. It’s up to you.
- Upon purchase, the student has access to the lab video course for a full year (366 days), and because the videos are self-paced, my son can proceed through the lab modules on his own timeline.
I highly recommend this easy-to-use course for any teen needing to earn a high school lab credit because this is truly an incredible lab video course. Dr. Kristin Moon knows how to make biology come to life while inspiring a love of science and the natural world!