A hands-on ocean study for kids is the perfect way to beat the heat by diving deep into the blue and all it contains. Explore books, games, videos, and hands-on activities to keep your ocean-loving kiddos happy and learning!
*Disclosure: I was asked for an honest review of The Waldock Way’s Ocean Unit Study. I was compensated for my time. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own. I only choose to share resources that I would use with my own family and those that I believe other families will enjoy and benefit from.
My kids have always loved the ocean. The sun, the sand, waves, and creatures of the beaches and the deep have been favorites for years. We’ve tracked sharks and turtles. Lydia the great white was a favorite because she was the exact length of the children’s uncle’s pick-up truck!
Seriously. That’s a giant shark.
My son is now entering high school, and his interests have shifted. But my daughter is still obsessed with the sea and ALL of the hands-on activities.
Hands-On Ocean Study for Kids
Jessica of The Waldock Way created this family-style Ocean Unit Study as a digital product emailed to you after purchase. There are lots of easy-to-click links within that help facilitate learning. While my daughter watched videos on sharks and rays, she colored the sharks and rays coloring pages that I printed off. Then I read to her from the fact sheet. Afterward, we learned the anatomy of a tiger shark and sting ray. Even though sharks and rays are related, there are also some key differences, and we learned about those too.
Jessica also provides a valuable fiction and non-fiction book list. So, you can place books on hold at the library before needing them! There are links to Pinterest boards to help you extend the learning with even more ideas! Jessica even provides a game list!
The Waldock Way Ocean Unit Study
With the Waldock Way’s Ocean Unit Study, your children will learn about:
- Introduction to Ocean
- Ocean Exploration & Oceanographers
- Layers of the Ocean
- Ocean Currents & Tides
- Ocean Habitats
- Who Lives in the Ocean?
- Deep-Sea Creatures
- Dolphins & Whales
- Eels & Sea Snakes
- Mollusks & Seashells
- Sea Stars
- Sea Turtles
- Squids & Octopuses
- Sharks & Rays
- Ocean Conservation
Each of the subjects also has printable pages that include:
- Full-Color Anatomy
- Fill in the blank Anatomy
- Coloring page
- Research page
Many hands-on activities are suggested, from Ocean-Themed Sensory Play, Writing, Games, Playdough Mats, Pattern Blocks, and Crafts!
Why I LOVE The Waldock Way’s Ocean Unit Study
My daughter and I love the Waldock Way’s Ocean Unit Study because it’s so easy to use while being chock full of educational and learning experiences.
- This Ocean Unit Study is not scripted. You are given a suggestion of activities, but you can modify the program to fit your child and your homeschool better! This is perfect for our delight-directed/interest-led homeschool because we bounce around ALOT! Day one was sharks and rays, while day two was about sea turtles!
- Jessica provides a ready-for-you list of resources, from games to books, so you can pick and choose what works best for your family! There are so many tidbits you can add but aren’t required. We added the origami aquarium kit and sea globes kit off Amazon.
- You can find many book suggestions at your local library if you are budget conscious. We were delighted to realize we already owned many of the suggested book resources.
- This unit study is digital, so I didn’t need to print everything off all at once! I printed sections as I needed them. Although, there are different games, pattern blocks, and crafts that I went ahead and printed so my daughter could do those at her leisure.
Hands-On Ocean Study for Kids
If your child is a budding biologist or oceanographer, they will thrill with each aspect of the Waldock Way’s Ocean Unit Study. I know my daughter sure did! Check out this hands-on deep dive into the world’s oceans for yourself.
You may also enjoy these other ocean-themed posts:
- 16 Ocean and Sea Creature Books Your Kids will Love
- Tropical Fish Picture Book
- Shark Week Art for Kids with Chalk Pastels
- 15 Shark Books for Shark Loving Kids
- A Picture Book About Shark Science
- Seashore Chalk Pastel Video Art Course that is Perfect for Summer
- Natural Learning Opportunities on a Beach Vacation